Due to the lockdown and the uncertainty surrounding the reopening of the single screens and multiplexes across the country, more and more film producers are opting to release their films on OTT platforms. Despite a stiff opposition from the exhibitors and multiplex chains, producers are inking deals with the digital streaming platforms to recover their investments.
It’s been earlier reported that star heroine Keerthy Suresh’s Tamil-Telugu bilingual drama, Penguin, will skip its theatrical release and instead have a world digital premiere on Amazon Prime. This morning, Amazon Prime announced Penguin’s premiere date. The film will be premiered on June 19 in Tamil and Telugu simultaneously.
Apart from Penguin, Amazon Prime has also acquired the world premiere rights to other Indian language movies such as Gulabo Sitabo (Hindi June 12), Shakuntala Devi (Hindi TBA), Ponmagal Vandhal (Tamil May 29), French Biryani (Kannada July 24), Law (Kannada June 26), Sufiyum Sujathayum (Malayalam TBA).
Articles that might interest you:
- Naga Chaitanya, Sai Pallavi’s Love Story locks its release date
- Legendary singer SP Balasubramanyam honoured with Padma Vibhushan
- Rashmika on a new mission for Bollywood debut Mission Majnu
- Gopichand Malineni offered to remake Krack in Bollywood
- Shahid-Vijay Sethupathi’s web series gets a title
- Official: Rajinikanth’s Annaatthe seals a festive release