For the last few days, several leading activists and environmentalists have been protesting against Bombay’s municipal corporation’s decision to cut down thousands of trees in Aarey colony in Mumbai. The issue went to the court when a growing movement against the proposed clearing of forest area to build a shed for metro trains turned into a public campaign.
However, when the court refused to issue a stay on the issue, BMC went ahead with its plan to cut down more than 2000 trees and the police even arrested scores of people who protested at the site. Now, several Bollywood celebrities, including Shruti Haasan, have come forward to protest against this move. In the past, the likes of Varun Dhawan, Shraddha Kapoor had voiced their concern about this destruction of a forest area.
Voicing her support to the Save Aarey camapaign, Shruti Haasan stated that a forest like the one in Aarey is essential for Mumbai and it could save it from over flooding every year. Moreover, she said that the government could look for other alternatives to build a metro shed instead of cutting down trees.
Articles that might interest you:
- Rana Daggubati’s Aranya to release during this time
- Sudigali Sudheer tests positive for COVID 19
- NTR and Charan have a fun banter on RRR’s Bheem teaser?
- Prabhas is all grace as Vikramaditya in Radhe Shyam
- Bigg Boss 4- These two contestants in the danger zone
- Nagarjuna joins Wild Dog team in Manali