It’s a well-known fact that when Baahubali was first announced it was supposed to be a Rs 100 crore film. Gradually, when they began working on the film’s script and production design, the budget shot up to Rs 150 crores. However, it didn’t stop there. Eventually, the team ended up spending close to Rs 400-450 crores, for both parts combined, which is the highest ever for an Indian film when it had released.
Recently, when SS Rajamouli and Shobu Yarlagadda attended an interactive session at IIM-Ahmedabad, a professor, who was hosting the event, quizzed them about the film’s budget. So, how did Shobu react when the budget surpassed Rs 150 crores? And Rajamouli joked saying, “Oh yes, he did raise his hand about the budget. I just told him, lets leave enough for our kids’ education, and put the rest in.”
It was a huge gamble that paid off extremely well for all the stakeholders. Baahubali has set a new benchmark for film marketing and promotions, and it has showed the power of social media and how it can harnessed in a constructive manner in terms of movie promotions.
Articles that might interest you:
- Indian 2: Shankar to spend a bomb for an action sequence
- Popular actor opts out of Mani Ratnam’s Ponniyin Selvan
- Mahesh vs Bunny Sankranthi clash- Fight getting serious
- Prabhas’s actor friends to fly London for special bash
- Hilarious title for Dil Raju-Krish’s maiden production
- Poll : In which of these genres should Mahesh and Rajamouli collaborate?