Perhaps, no other director in Indian cinema can command as much adulation and equal,if not higher, amounts of hatred as Ram Gopal Varma. The maverick movie maker’s films always bring out extreme reactions from people- they either love it or hate it.
RGV was born on April 7th 1962 and he turns 50 today. His claim to fame was the sensational 1989 flick ‘Shiva’, a film which changed the course of the Telugu Film Industry and greatly influenced a whole generation of new directors. After a series of cult classics like ‘Kshana Kshanam’, ‘Antham’ and ‘Govinda Govinda’, Ramu packed his bags and left for Bollywood. To this day, RGV is the only South Indian director to have made a strong and lasting impact on the Hindi industry.
His fascination for gangster elements, unique camera angles and realistic drama can be seen in his films. He also has the unique ability to turn anything and everything to his advantage. This summer, RGV will be coming before us with his gritty cop drama ‘Department’.
Love him or hate him, but there can never be another film maker like him. Happy Birthday RGV and may you continue to be just the way you want to be.
- Kajal opens up about her plans to turn producer
- Suresh Babu’s latest statement on Ramanaidu biopic
- Bollywood stars appreciate Vijay Deverakonda’s gesture
- We have forgotten our farmers, Chinnababu is a tribute to them: Karthi
- Geetha Govindam will be the best film in Vijay’s career: Allu Aravind