The legendary Kathak dancer, Pandit Birju Maharaj (83), breathed his last in the early hours of Monday at his residence in Delhi.
According to her granddaughter Ragini Maharaj, he got ill while playing Anthakshari with his family last night. Immediately, he was taken to hospital, where he was declared dead.
Birju Maharaj had been suffering from a kidney ailment and was under dialysis treatment for the last month due to high diabetes.
The Padma Vibhushan-awardee is well known for his excellent choreography for a song in Kamal Haasan’s Vishwaroopam. He also choreographed the Bollywood actress, Madhuri Dixit, twice.
PM Modi and many celebrities mourned the Kathak legend’s death on social media.
Articles that might interest you:
- Tentative release plan for Ram Charan’s RC15
- Mahesh Babu would never dare do this- Deets inside
- Upset brother-in-law of Salman walks out of his film?
- Two top heroines sulking after Bhool Bhulayya 2 success
- Pawan Kalyan, Renu Desai attend Akira’s graduation ceremony
- No special shows for F3?