Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Padmavat has set a new record for the highest grossing Hindi film in its opening weekend after it accumulated a gross of $4.4 million from Friday to Sunday. It has collected an additional $500k from the early previews on Thursday, which brought the gross to $4.9 million.
In the process, the film also beat an earlier record set by Aamir Khan’s PK which had collected $3.6 million. The film has been doing brisk business in India as well and it has already entered the Rs 100 crores club. Touted as one of the most expensive films ever made in Hindi, the success of this film was crucial not only for Bhansali and the cast & crew of the film, but also for entire film industry too.
Going by the present trend, the film is likely to join the Rs 200 crores club soon, and it’ll be interesting to see where it’s run will come to an end. The film has Ranveer Singh, Shahid Kapoor, and Deepika Padukone playing lead roles.
- Anupama Parameswaran derives inspiration from heroes
- Rajini’s strict warning to fans over selling 2.0 tickets in black
- Popular singer-composer excited about Saaho
- Taxiwaala inches towards half-a-million-dollar mark in US
- It’s terrifying to dance alongside Prabhudeva : Amyra Dastur