Telugu film industry’s infatuation with Yama Dharma Raja dates back to the 70s. The introduction of a new genre,socio-fantasy laid the foundation for making Yama Dharma Raja a key character in such films. In the past, films like Yamagola, Yamudiki Mogudu, Yamaleela revolved around the concept of a hero’s confrontation with Yama which often leads to hilarious situations. From late 90s to mid 2010s, it seemed like the trend had taken a backseat and then S S Rajamouli’s Yamadonga changed everything. In the past few months, we have had films like Daruvu, Brahmalokam to Yamalokam via Boolakam, Yamagola Malli Modhalaindhi which experimented with this genre. It looks like Tollywood’s infatuation is not going to end anytime soon. In the next few months, Telugu filmmakers are coming up with two more films where Yama’s character is going to play a key role. First among the three is Sairam Shankar, Parvathi Melton and Sanjanna starrer Yamaho Yama in which Srihari is playing Yama’s role. In Cinemakiyeladham Randi, Rajendra Prasad is playing Yama’s role. It remains to be seen how long this trend goes on for before filmmakers try to experiment with other subjects in socio-fantasy genre.
- C/O Kancharapalem’s trailer gets a thumbs up from celebs and movie lovers
- Geetha Govindam strikes half-a-million-dollar in the US
- Staggering remuneration for Ram Charan’s villain
- Culprit who leaked Aravindha Sametha’s raw footage is still absconding
- Makers of NTR & Kapil Dev biopics to produce Jayalalithaa’s biopic