The three-day Sankranti festival began here on Saturday amidst enthusiasm and fervour.
The festival starts with Bhogi followed by Sankranti and Kanuma.
Bonfire in the morning followed by Rangolis and flying of kites mark the first day of the festival. Dressed in their best people thronged to temples and greeted each other on the occasion.
Sunday is the main festival and is called Makar Sankranti as the sun enters the zodiac sun of Makara or Capricorn heralding Uttarayana or the Solar half of the year.
In rural Andhra cock-fights and bulls’ racing is common. As this is the harvest festival, festivities are more pronounced in villages.
On the third day, Kanumu people welcome the season for heading towards uttarayana, which is also the upper half of the zodiac.
This year, only three films have been lined up for the festival. Earlier , all big banners used to line up for Pongal but as the commercialization has entered the film world overtaking all other factors a compromise formula has been worked out to benefit all and pictures are scheduled accordingly.
TV Channels worked out special programmes for the festival. Even anchors have come up traditionally dressed. Game shows have been spruced up for the occasion. Padutha Teeyaga, which lost most of its sheen this edition, has shown promos with singers wearing traditional dhotis and sarees. (INN)
Articles that might interest you:
- చంద్రబాబుకు షాకిచ్చిన సీనియర్ నేత!
- How Alia Bhatt lost out on Coolie No.1 remake due to RRR
- జగన్ పై ఉన్న అనుమానాలు.. మరో రెండు రోజుల్లో తొలగిపోతాయి..!
- విష ప్రచారమా..ట్విట్టర్లో పవన్ ఇచ్చిన ఘాటు రిప్లై చూడండి.!
- చంద్రబాబు & కో సీక్రెట్ మీటింగ్: లగడపాటి, అను”కుల” మీడియా హెడ్ తో సీక్రెట్ మీటింగా..?
- వైఎస్ జగన్ పై సంచలన వ్యాఖ్యలు చేసిన జేసీ బ్రదర్..!